Various summer sports camps will also be available - flyer will be available at the program document link below!
Program documents are available !
Space is limited! Complete payment of fee is required prior to the start of the program. Payment plan is available! Cash, check, money order or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover only) accepted at both sites. E-mail or call the contact persons below for more information!
SUMMER YOUTH PROGRAM: Registration starts March 24, 2018 for the Summer Youth Program! Program includes supervised activities such as arts/crafts, board games, and outdoor activities as well as field trips. For 2018, the 9 week program starts June 4 and runs through August 3. Full fee payment reserves the child’s spot in the program and covers all program costs, tee shirt, trips and trip transportation.
The program is divided into six age groups: 5-6, 7, 8, 9, 10-11 and 12-15. A variety of organized activities are supervised by 18 seasonal summer staff, with two full time staff planning, coordinating and overseeing the program. The student groups are rotated through various activity areas throughout the day:
- Arts - youths have the opportunity to create their own treasures in arts and craft classes featuring canvas painting, jewelry making, Christmas in July, Father’s Day crafts, outer space crafts, tie dye, etc.
- Games - participants will practice fair gameplay while playing indoor and outdoor games including chess, table games, billiards, Capture the Flag, etc.
- Sports - youth have a chance to participate in organized basketball, soccer, flag football, lacrosse, tennis and other sports games with an opportunity to learn the rules and develop skills.
- Discovery - this STEM type area will give campers an opportunity to explore areas like aerodynamics, conservation, coding using our new iPad devices, Lego Challenges, wildlife, environmental sciences, simple machines and cooking in a fun and engaging environment. Visits by Plant City Police and Fire Rescue departments are planned.
- Breakfast and Lunch - we have partnered with Hillsborough County Schools Nutrition Services Department to provide a boxed breakfast and lunch every day to each camper, or they can bring their own lunch.
- Quiet Time - this rest period gives youth an opportunity to relax and engage in an age-appropriate film, read a book in our newly designated reading center or play a quiet game (or even take a nap if they want).
- Free Time - campers will have access to all of the services the center has to offer including, the game room, board and table games, playground, etc.
Teens Focus - This year we have a Teen Camp for our older summer camp participants ages 12 to 15. Mondays through Thursdays these campers spend half the day at the Planteen Rec Center doing age appropriate activities such as electronics, costume design, set creation, etiquette, coding, etc. to prepare for a stage presentation to the younger participants at the end of the summer. The other half of the day, campers will spend time on an approved service projects off-site. Our partners this year include:
- 1914 PCHS Community Center where youths will participate in activities like etiquette classes and living history research including gravestone charcoal rubbings,
- Hillsborough County’s Edward Medard Park where they will help the rangers repair benches and build bat houses,
- Hillsborough County Humane Society where they will help with a Trap, Neuter, and Release (TNR) program, and
- San Clemente Villas where the teens will provide companionship for seniors and assist in serving lunch. Teens can accumulate certified hours for their high school or the Bright Futures Scholarship through this program.
- A tour of City Hall, Public Works, Police and Fire Rescue is planned to familiarize the teens with local government activities. On Fridays, the teens will participate in our scheduled Field Trips.
Field trips for all campers will consist of day excursions to Lowry Park Zoo, Orlando Science Center, Fun Spot, Dinosaur World/Treehoppers, Aquatica, Plant City Family Bowl and occasional free matinees movies at Plant City Premier Cinema 8.
The student fee of $375 per person for the nine week program helps offset the costs of supervision as well as admission and transportation for the field trips, averaging out to less than $9 a day.
An information flyer is posted at this link. Payment plan is available upon request and cash, check, money order or credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover only) are accepted. The program site, ages and fees for the 2018 program are:
Planteen Recreation Center – ages 5-15 – must have completed Kindergarten (bring last report card as proof)
$375 total per child for the 9 week program
Contact Recreation Division staff :
- Recreation Supervisor Maggie Morona at 813-659-4256 or
Contact the site administrators above for the most up to date information on these summer activities!